Introducing BIM Regions
In March 2012 CIC was tasked with creating a network of Building Information Modelling (BIM) Regions to help raise awareness and the benefits of BIM to the industry as a whole and facilitate the early adoption of BIM processes and working methods throughout the UK’s construction industry.
Regional BIM champions will be identified in each nation and region as the conduit for a unified and co-ordinated package of information which will allow dissemination of the programme at a local level. Through engaging with the industry at grass roots they will also provide valuable feedback to the BIM core team.
Regional BIM champions most likely to act as chairs of the national and regions, will act as local links within the nations and regions; and will act as a conduit of information exchange, signpost interested employers to BIM buddies (practitioners already active in the field of BIM); and provide a valuable source of information to feedback to the central BIM teams on progress.
In the interim period current CIC Nations’ and Regional Chairs will act as the initial point of contact until a suitable BIM champion is elected in each nation and region.
The objectives of the BIM Regions will be to:
- Interface with the core team and the emerging legacy support organisation to raise awareness of the BIM programme and its requirements
- Act as a conduit for relevant information on the programme to ensure a consistent and contextualised message is disseminated
- Enable regional engagement in national discussions
- Encourage the sharing of BIM knowledge and best practice within the networks
- Facilitate regional collaborative activity to support the development of the supply chain’s BIM capabilities
- Provide linkage with the GCS BIM Task Group and the CIC BIM Forum
- Provide valuable feedback to the core team