BIM4M2 is a working group consisting of people and organisations concerned with BIM for manufacturers (the organisations) and manufacturing (the process). Developed to support the work of the BIM Taskgroup, BIM4M2 was formed by the Construction Products Association (CPA), but is separate to and independent from it. Members include a healthy mix of manufacturers (SMEs and multi-nationals), consultants and content providers.
The group’s long term vision is:
For the UK construction product manufacturing sector to be recognised as a world leader in the integration of BIM and manufacturing technologies to supply the products and solutions for a sustainable built environment.
The vision sets the framework for the group, with an initial scope to:
- Provide a forum where all those involved in the design, manufacture and supply of products and solutions can share their knowledge, learning and experience in order to help achieve the vision
- Demonstrate the opportunities inherent in BIM, which allow the full realisation of the benefits of linking design, project and manufacturing information, to the widest range of individuals and organisations including government and other policy makers
- Promote case studies from manufacturers of manufacturing systems that demonstrate the integration of BIM data and manufacturing technologies to supply the products and solutions for a sustainable built environment
- Work with research funders to increase research and development funding for manufacturers who wish to develop the integration of BIM and manufacturing technologies
The group was launched on 28th March 2014, with initial working groups covering:
- Data templates – developing templates and guidance directly targeted towards the manufacturer
- BIM for the Terrified – developing a follow-up to the CPA’s BIM for the Terrified publication
- Promotions – engaging with the wider BIM community and sharing best practice
The group is chaired by Steve Thompson, who can be contacted at email@example.com